Grodno State Medical University was founded in 1958. It keeps a prestigious place among the medical higher educational establishments of Belarus. High quality teaching guaranties student’s high level of theoretical knowledge as well as practical skills and experience. Thousands of graduates have already evaluated high quality of medical education obtained in the Grodno State Medical University.
Currently more than 2500 students attend classes at the university, among them 350 international students representing 26 countries worldwide.
On October 1, 1958, the Grodno State Medical Institute commenced academic studies (the first lecture was delivered by Prof. D.M.Golub from Minsk in Human Anatomy), and on October 15 the first sitting of the Academic Council took place. To the first Institute administration belonged L.F.Supron – Rector (1958-1962), N.I.Arinchin – Vice-Rector for Research and Academic Affairs (1959-1960), V.I.Garusin – Vice-Rector for Management and Administration (1958-1961), G.I.Kiriliuk – Dean (1958-1962). Over the following 36 years (from 1962 to 1998) the Institute was governed by Prof. Dmitri Maslakov. In 1964 the first 248 medical doctors graduated from the institute, 22 graduates were granted Honors Diplomas. At the beginning of the 1960s the first typical halls of residence were built, in the middle of the 1980s the first hall of residence of bearing-wall construction was put into service.
Over the last 50 years, the Institute (and then the university) graduated over 16,000 physicians and graduate nurses. The Ministry of Health of the Republic of Belarus increased considerably enrollment in the University over recent years.
In the 1990s, new (and the unique in the Republic of Belarus at that) faculties were established: Faculty of Graduate Nurses (in 1991 – full-time department, in 1996 – part-time department) and Faculty of Mental Health Medicine (in 1993). Since 1992 foreign students have been trained at the University (at present our medical University ranks first among the institutions of higher learning in the city by the number of foreign students). Over recent years export of educational services has been significantly extended. In 2008 the Faculty of Medical Diagnostics was established with two majors: “Medical Diagnostics” and “Nursing”.
The University has 5 faculties. The University offers five undergraduate majors, 33 majors for clinical residents, 20 majors for Ph.D. students. First master’s degree holders have been qualified.
In November 1999 – January 2000, the Institute has been successfully accredited as a University.
Major efforts are undertaken at the University to improve the quality of education. The “National Textbook” Project is being carried out at the University. Textbooks and manuals, which are prepared by the academic staff according to the specialization of the faculty, are published for medical students. Information technologies find a large scale application in the academic process. The computerization of the University has been accomplished, a PC-based library hall has been equipped, and information databases have been created. A three-level academic performance rating has been introduced. Grading criteria for all courses have been developed. Active forms of learning are used. Monitored independent students work is being introduced. Theoretical and practical clinical training of students is being upgraded. The students have the possibility for taking practical training in Poland and Germany.
It is worthy of note that the University trains not only physicians but also researchers and the teaching staff for its own needs. At present the administration of the University consists mainly of the University graduates. By the number of persons with doctoral and Ph.D. degrees the Grodno State Medical University takes the leading position in the Republic of Belarus.
In 1960 the Central Scientific and Research Laboratory was opened. In 1970 the Metabolic Control Department was established under the auspices of the University, and in 1985 – the Institute of Biochemistry of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus was founded. At present three Doctoral Councils are functioning at the University. The University works in close cooperation with academic and scientific centers in Russia, Ukraine, Lithuania, Poland, Germany. The Grodno State Medical University is a member of the Association of Baltic Universities.
Since 1993 a monthly “Aesculapius” paper has been published at the University. In 2003 the University started the publication of a quarterly medical journal. In 2000 the University Charter, Emblem and in 2006 – the University Anthem were approved.
In 2000 an honorable title “Doctor honoris causa of the Grodno State Medical University” has been instituted. It was conferred to Metropolitan Filaret and to prominent scientists from Belarus, Ukraine, Poland, Germany. The visitors of our University were conspicuous statesmen, prominent personalities of religion, science and culture, international ambassadors.
The Educational Institution “Grodno State Medical University” is the first medical institution of higher learning in the Republic of Belarus, where the ISO 9001 Quality Management System was introduced and certified, which complies with the National Quality Management System (??? ISO 9001-2009) and with the German Quality Management System (DIN EN 9001-2008).
All overseas students of the Grodno State Medical University study at the Faculty of General Medicine, can study 6 Years in English Medium. Also Grodno State Medical University is the Only Medical University that provides 6 years high quality English Medium Medical Studies. Students who wish to study pre medical course before joining the Medical Faculty, will study Russian and special subjects such as Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. The duration of training at the preparatory department is about 9 months. On successful completion of the preparatory studying course they are admitted to the University and study medical disciplines in English or Russian.
The Russian-language training includes the studying of all the disciplines in Russian language. The English language training implies that students get education in English and acquire good knowledge in the Russian language to contact with patients.
After graduation from the University the graduates are granted International Diploma and are conferred the title of the MD.
In addition, the University provides the possibility of post-graduate education – Clinical residency and Post-graduate doctoral course (PhD) in various medical fields.
University pays much attention to educational process. The library contains a large number of books and scientific journals in all branches of knowledge both in English and Russian and in other foreign languages. In the University library there are lots of comfortable reading rooms, catalogue room, and computer-equipped room providing free access to all world information resources. The students can work at the Internet Center with personal computers providing a high-speed access to Internet resources.
Hostel and Canteen
There is a flat-type hostel for foreign students within 5-minute walk from the main building of the University. Each accommodation block has kitchen, bathroom and WC. All the rooms are fully furnished and include Free Electricity, Gas, Water, and Heating Systems. Monthly Hostel maintenance fee is about 20 USD per 1 person. Student comfortable canteen offers a rich variety of different dishes.
Sports and Cultural Activities
The University has the best sports facilities among the other medical universities of the country including 2 large game halls, wrestling training room, shooting gallery and running hall. Cultural life at the University is multinational. The University Student Club organizes cultural programs in which students of different countries take part.